Thursday, June 27, 2019

Building relationships with your students


This will be more vlog than blog. A few former students are helping me with my
summer PD for positive culture and climate. They made videos of what
makes my classroom a comfortable learning environment.
I believe one of the most important jobs a teacher has is creating a safe, positive learning environment for students. There are many ways to do this. The basics are obvious: high expectations, consistency, support, and encouragement. All great teachers thrive to create this sort of an environment, but what if I told you that it can be taken a step further? What if that kid that begins the school year calling you an "F-ing B" cried the last day of school as he hugged you telling you how much he loved you? I'm going to share a few stories with you. These are from the last eight years of teaching...










The reason I share these stories is to show how important it is to build relationships with your students. If you ever find yourself thinking "I'm here to teach, not build relationships" perhaps you should teach online classes or at the college level. Kids need you to care about them. They need to know someone is in their corner and supports them. They need to feel safe with you. You never really know what someone is going through. Be persistent and be a constant in their lives. Think about it, did you really become a teacher JUST to teach the correct use of a comma? I didn't. I became a teacher to make a difference in the lives of those I have the honor and privilege of teaching. What about you?




No comments:

Post a Comment