Friday, March 15, 2019

What Would Waffle Do?


"What Would Waffle Do?"
Whispers From My Ghost Teacher


I know what your thinking after reading that title... WHAT?! Let me explain. When I lived in New York, I student taught under the supervision of the most fabulous secondary educator I've ever known. Mrs. Waffle teaches at a small central school district in upstate New York. Everything she did, and I mean everything, was well planned, 100% engaging, and empowering for her students.


Every single time I observed her teaching (which was often), I thought about how much better life would have been as a student if she were my teacher. I watched her change her plans mid-lesson because it wasn't working out with her students the way her lesson was planned. She was able to gauge her students learning, and ensure understanding. She had engaging bell-ringers and exit tickets daily. She taught mini grammar review lessons weekly to keep her students' writing up to par.
She was, and still is, amazing.

I am now in my 8th year of teaching, and I still find myself asking "What would Waffle do?" It keeps me on my toes. When I have a student who refuses to work, disrupts class, or tells me to go F myself, I simply take a deep breath and ask myself that question. Guess what, after channeling my inner Waffle, I meet my students where they need me to be, make connections, build relationships, and their learning begins there.


Other than modeling the importance of building relationships, Waffle taught me to get creative with my lessons. She taught me that old school teaching isn't what the next generation needs. She taught me the importance of being a lifelong learner and keeping up with the times. I can't truly understand my students if I don't know what they are talking about. She taught me that planning engaging lessons and activities can be as exciting for me to plan as it is for the students to learn and participate.  She taught me to keep it current and relevant.


I've had three student teachers in my classroom. I try to be a light for them as she was for me. I don't hide the truth of the profession; it can be an underappreciated career, but it can also be extremely fulfilling. I write this to say the following:

Students need teachers like Mrs. Waffle. Students need teachers to do absolutely everything in their power to find that connection, build that relationship, and empower them. If you have the opportunity to have a student teacher in your classroom, don't dim their light. Let them shine. Encourage them, help them, and teach them classroom management and all the other things we weren't taught in college. The students need teachers that care. Students deserve teachers who care... at least one in the 13 years they are in school.



Pictures taken over the years at the NYSEC (New York State English Council) conference. Pictures taken from Facebook.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you'll have to make a new bracelet... WWWD? I had something similar, but her name was Donna, so I would think "WWDD?" I hope any student teachers you have in the future will think of you in the same fashion, Julie! You're doing all you can to make school a better place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! At least they'd already have the merch for WWJD! 😂

    ReplyDelete